Complete a modified version of exercise 2.1 in Maxwell, Chapter 2. Focus on identifying the personal goals, feelings, experiences, and assumptions underlying your likely research paper for this class and/or your likely thesis project (make it clear which, and of course, start by stating the topic/ question/ puzzle/ problem you are thinking about focusing on). Your memo must cover three topics:
1) Discuss prior experiences, beliefs/ assumptions, feelings, and goals that underlie your likely research project topic.
2) Make sure to differentiate personal, practical, and intellectual goals (Maxwell pp 24-29), in relation to your likely research project. Demonstrate your understanding of the differences among these three types of goals.
3) Discuss the possible advantages, disadvantages, biases, or blinders that your personal “background package” might present to the research project. In addition to the personal perspectives and goals that Maxwell focuses on, consider how other aspects of your individual positionality might impact your planned research, such as age, gender, race/ ethnicity, social status, insider/ outsider status, or other characteristics relevant to the research topic.
- Memos should be about 2 pages, single spaced
- Graded no credit / full credit (if turned in on time with a reasonable effort).
- This memo will not be shared with classmates (or anyone else).